Saturday, September 11, 2010

Discover the Best Mineral Makeup Look for You!

Learn the best mineral makeup look you can achieve with mineral foundation, blush, bronzer, eye makeup, etc....
It can be confusing trying to choose colors, types and brands of mineral makeup. You buy several colors and HOPE the blush matches the eye makeup, matches the foundation, matches your hair, etc, etc.
AH!
Help is here!
I love the study of color and I enjoy helping others learn which colors look best on them AND best together.
Once you learn the colors and types of colors (muted, clear, strong, soft) that look best on YOU, then everything else falls into place. You will be sporting your best mineral makeup look before you know it!
If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty of it, I highly recommend this book which helped meFINALLY discover what palette I look best in:


I'll start by giving you an example of me.
I've learned that I look best in muted, warm colors. Thus, my entire closet is organized into a few of my best colors (brown, muted greens and blue/greens, warm pinks, raisin/purples and creams). All of my best mineral makeup colors are these same shades. I use a neutral or warm foundation, warm pink or brown blush, raisin eyeliner, brown eyeshadow and warm toned (like peach) lip gloss.
Whenever I shop, I can get it done in about 1/10th the time of most people, because I scan ONLY for my colors, then look. I don't have to look at the black shirt, or white skirt, etc. I just know that I don't want them, as those colors don't look good on me.
All my shoes and clothing accessories are in these same colors too. I stick to brown accessories mainly, never black.
You might think this would get awfully boring. On the contrary, it is liberating. Rather than stressing over what to wear everyday, or what looks best on me, I can pretty much grab any two items out of my closet and know they will match. Most of my shoes will go with any outfit I choose and all my hair and makeup items automatically match. It is SO easy and fun!
And should I ever get bored, I can just add in a new color that I want to try, as long as it is a color I know I look great in.
I will try to make this as simple as possible and break it down into easy, doable steps.
LET'S BEGIN!
In general, there are three types of people: cool, neutral, warm.
Each of those can be broken down into muted or clear.
So you might be cool/muted or warm/clear, etc.
Cool-skinned people will look best in cool colors (blue undertone). Examples include: hot pink, black, white, royal blue, navy, yellow, blue red, etc.
Neutral people look best sticking to neutral colors. Examples include: purple, teal, brown, etc... These are general colors that actually MOST people can wear.
Warm-skinned people come alive in warm shades, like mahogany, peach, jade, sage green, cream, oyster, etc.
Once you know which of those you are, you then need to decide if you are muted or clear.
Muted colors appear soft, sometimes dull, and never harsh.
Clear colors are defined and sometimes bright and powerful.
TO START:
Gather up a bunch of scarves or clothing items and head outdoors with a mirror and a friend. Hold different colors up to your bare skin (no makeup on), with your hair tied back. If your hair is dyed, try to remember your natural color, as changing your hair shade can really confuse the issue.
Write down all the colors that look best on you. Note if they are cool (blue undertone... think of a blue red or mauve), or warm (yellow undertone... think tomato red or rust, as examples.)
Also determine if they are soft and dull colors (muted, like soft butter yellow) or clear and bright shades (like a clear lemon yellow for example).
Then, determine your coloring according to the rules above. You might be warm and muted like me, or the total opposite: cool and clear. Or any mixture in between.
Don't expect to figure it out right away, just begin to notice how you feel in different colors. Pay attention to which outfits you get complimented in.
Over time, you will learn which shades suit you best.
Once you know for sure which main colors you love and just GLOW in, then begin to tailor your entire closet, accessory collection, shoes, and makeup bag to suit your coloring. You don't have to worry about buying something you won't wear. You just know!
OPTIONAL:
You can take this a step further and decide on your exact style.
If you feel you are a dramatic person, go with stronger, bolder colors and patterns.
If you are more subtle and natural like me, then go with soft tones, minimal patterns and easy-to-wear items.
Or find your comfort zone in the middle of those two. Maybe you're sporty, romantic, professional, active, etc.
Remember that the BEST mineral makeup look is what YOU feel good in!
NOW...
Back to choosing the best mineral makeup for you.
Keep in mind all the colors you look best in, and you'll never have a problem choosing your best mineral makeup look.
COOL SKIN: Stick with cool or neutral foundations. Only get a warm foundation if you wish to counter-act a reddish complexion. Your best mineral makeup blushes will be pink, mauve, or berry colored blushes, for example. Eye shades could be cool browns (leaning toward gray or blue, not red or yellow undertones), grays, blues, blue/greens, bold purples, etc. Same goes for lip colors... use hot pink, mauve, berry, wine, or nude shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment